NOIDA: The Metro Hospitals and Heart Institute in Noida Sector-12, where a fire broke out on Thursday, was functioning without a fire licence.
"The hospital's licence was expired nearly five months ago. We did not accept their request as we gave them several suggestions as per laid down rules and asked them to implement the same," the fire department official said.
“We will take necessary action against the hospital management for their failure in getting their licence renewed from the authorities. We will send a report over the lapses on the part of the hospital to the director general for necessary action in the case”, they added.
A fire had broken out in Metro Hospitals and Heart Institute in Noida on Thursday and trapped several people inside the multi-storeyed building.
As per the report, thick smoke had seen billowing out of the building in Sector 12.
People stood on ledges and on balconies as rescuers tried to reach them by smashing glass window panes.
“More than 60 people were inside the hospital when the incident occurred and all were safe”, Gautam Buddh Nagar District Magistrate BN Singh said.
“Around 10 fire tenders were rushed to spot and the situation was brought under control. The second floor of the hospital, where the fire broke out, has already been sealed”, fire department officials said.
The hospital Staffers also tried to help patients out of the building.
According to the report from the officials, the cause of the fire was a short circuit that occurred in a water heater which was placed inside the recovery area of the hospital, where patients are kept for sometime after being discharged from Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
The hospital had two buildings and one of them did not have a fire No Objection Certificate (NOC). Later, the hospital demolished the two buildings and built a single structure which also did not have the NoC.
With inputs from PTI