COVID-19: Govt rejects report claiming 21-day lockdown may be extended

National
Typography

The government on Monday said there was no plan to extend the 21-day lockdown which came intro force on Tuesday midnight.

 

The Press Information Bureau (PIB) of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting tweeted, saying Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba has denied media reports claiming that the government will extend the lockdown.

"There are rumours and media reports, claiming that the Government will extend the Lockdown21 when it expires. The Cabinet Secretary has denied these reports, and stated that they are baseless," it said.

The 21-day lockdown is aimed at checking the spread of the coronavirus.

Following the lockdown, there has been a massive exodus of migrant workers from big cities to their villages after being rendered jobless.

The Central government has taken many stringent measures to prevent the further spread of the disease.

Starting from Tuesday midnight, India is under 21-day lockdown to curb the spread of novel coronavirus. 

In a televised address to the nation on Tuesday, Prime Minister Modi said that it is vital to break the chain of the disease and experts have said that at least 21 days are needed for it. Social distancing is the only option to deal with the disease.

The Prime Minister said the lockdown has drawn a "Lakshman Rekha" in every home and people should stay indoors for their own protection and for that of their families.

Coronavirus, which originated in China's Wuhan city in December last year, has so far spread to more than 160 countries. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared coronavirus a pandemic. 

Only the essential services like grocery shops, medical outlets remain functional during the lockdown.

 

With inputs from Agency

Image credit: Times of India

 

All Comments