Fire breaks out at garbage dump in Ernavur area of Chennai, no casualties reported

South India
Typography

A fire broke out at a garbage dump in Ernavur area of Chennai on Sunday night after some firecrackers, being burst by people, fell on it. 

 

The fire was later doused with the help of three fire tenders. Meanwhile, no casualties or injuries were reported.

On Sunday, Thousands of people across the country had switched off lights in their homes and lit candles and diyas or turned on mobile phone torches, Meanwhile, some burst crackers to show solidarity in the fight against coronavirus.

On Friday, in a "short video message" to the nation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had asked people to switch off all lights at 9 pm on Sunday and light candles or diyas or use the flashlights on their mobile phones to mark the fight against the coronavirus outbreak. 

"I request all of of you to switch off all the lights of your house on 5th April at 9 PM for 9 minutes, and just light a candle, 'diya', or mobile's flashlight, to mark our fight against coronavirus," he had said.  

The campaign received a modest response from people in the country as well as the community settled abroad.

 

With inputs from ANI

Image credit: ANI

 

All Comments