India-China face-off in Ladakh: Parents of Colonel Santosh Babu in deep shock after son martyred in Galwan valley area

South India
Typography

Parents of Colonel Santosh Babu, who lost his life in a violent face-off with Chinese soldiers in Galwan valley area are in a state of deep shock.

 

Babu, who hailed from Suryapet district in Telangana, was serving in the 16 Bihar regiment as Commanding Officer. 

He is survived by his wife, daughter and son, who are residing in Delhi.

According to an ANI update, Upender and Manjula, the parent of Colonel Santosh Babu said they had first been in disbelief but later accepted the truth after being informed by higher authorities about the face-off.

"At first, we didn't believe it but later higher authorities told us what had happened. We're under deep shock. Our son faced many challenges”, they said.

According to the report, the news about Santosh’s death reached his parents – B Upender (63) and Manjula (58) at around 2 pm on Tuesday.

"We received the news, yesterday afternoon at 2 pm that my son has been martyred. I could not believe that my son has been martyred”, Col Santosh's mother Manjula was quoted by ANI as saying.

"We are under deep shock, We could not believe it when we got to know about our son. I could not believe it as he was very brave. Since the last fifteen years, he had gained success. I immediately inquired from one of the officers. Later, several officers of the Army contacted directly through my phone. They said that they are making arrangements to get the body from that place to Suryapet," Col Santosh's father, Upender, was quoted by ANI as saying.

According to the Times of India report, his father said that he is extremely proud of his son. 

He said he knew that such a day would come when he would have to hear this news. 

"Everybody dies, but it is a privilege to die for the country," said Colonel Santosh Babu's father.

According to the report from his parents, the mortal remains of Santosh are expected to be brought to Hyderabad by 9.30 am on Wednesday and would be straightaway taken to Suryapet by afternoon for cremation.

The violent face-off happened on late evening and night of June 15 in Ladakh's Galwan Valley as a result of an attempt by the Chinese troops to "unilaterally change" the status quo during de-escalation in Eastern Ladakh.  

“The situation could have been avoided if the agreement at the higher level been scrupulously followed by the Chinese side”, India said on Tuesday.

The Army confirmed that 20 soldiers were killed in the face-off including 17 who were critically injured at the stand-off location and exposed to sub-zero temperatures in the high altitude terrain.

“Indian and Chinese troops have disengaged at the Galwan area in Ladakh where they had earlier clashed on the night of June 15 and 16”, Indian Army said

 

With inputsfrom Agency

Image credit: Hindustan Times

All Comments