Karnataka identifies 30,000 sites for Covid-19 vaccine delivery

South India
Typography

Health and Medical Education Minister K Sudhakar said on Tuesday, November 24, that the state government has initiated action for the delivery of the vaccine as per the norms of the Universal Immunisation programme.

The Karnataka government has identified about 30,000 vaccination sites and 10,000 vaccinators for Covid-19 vaccine delivery in the state.

Health and Medical Education Minister K Sudhakar said on Tuesday, November 24, that the state government has initiated action for the delivery of the vaccine as per the norms of the Universal Immunisation programme.

The measures are being taken after due deliberations with the State’s COVID-19 Task Force. The minister said that the data regarding health care workers, who will be given the vaccine first, has already been compiled for all the government facilities.

Nearly 80% of the private health facilities have also shared their data. Compilation of data for the remaining 20% private facilities is likely to be completed in a week’s time, the Minister was quoted by The Hindu as saying.

The State has around 2,855 cold chain points for storage and distribution of vaccines. With a view to have a better supply chain network and distribution of vaccines in a timely manner, three new regional vaccine stores – Bengaluru Urban, Shivamogga and Ballari have been proposed. These newly proposed Regional Vaccine Stores will also require additional Walk-in-Coolers and Walk-in-Freezers to be supplied, the Minister said.

Pointing out that assessment of Vaccine Stores has been completed, he said the State has ten Walk-in-Coolers and four Walk-in-Freezers. The Union Health Ministry is going to supply three Walk-in-Coolers and two Walk-in-Freezers for which necessary civil work is being initiated.

“In order to have an exact assessment of the cold storage capacity required for COVID-19 vaccine programme, we first need to assess the number of doses in each vial, the volume of a vial etc. We have already requested the Union Ministry to share this information,” he said (with inputs from agencies)

Image Credit: Sciencemag.org

All Comments