Kerala reports first COVID-19 death

South India
Typography

 KOCHI: A 69-year-old man died in Kerala’s Kochi on Saturday, becoming the first person from the southern state to die after contracting Covid-19

 

He was being treated for the virus, and died at Ernakulam Medical College Hospital at 8 am.

The patient had come from Dubai on March 16 and was quarantined.

The man, hailing from Chullikal in Ernakulam, was admitted to the isolation ward on March 22.

As per the report, he was admitted with symptoms of pneumonia but later tested positive for coronavirus.

According to the report, he was also suffering from heart disease and high blood pressure and had udergone a bypass surgery earlier.

Forty nine passengers, who were in the flight he came from Dubai are under quarantine.

As per the media reports, a close relative and the driver who picked him up from the airport are coronavirus positive. The deceased had no contact with any others.

The total number of coronavirus patients in the country has surged to 873 on Saturday.

According to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, the total number of active cases in the country rose to 775, while 78 patients have been cured and discharged.

As per the official data, the death toll due to the novel coronavirus in the country has reached 19, while one patient has migrated.

While Maharashtra with 180 cases has the most number of COVID-19 patients, Kerala comes second in the list with 173 confirmed cases, as of 9:30 am according to the Ministry.

However, the tally of Maharashtra and Kerala also includes cured and discharged patients, 25 and 11 respectively.

Starting from Tuesday midnight, India is under 21-day lockdown to curb the spread of novel coronavirus. 

In a televised address to the nation on Tuesday, Prime Minister Modi said that it is vital to break the chain of the disease and experts have said that at least 21 days are needed for it. Social distancing is the only option to deal with the disease.

The Prime Minister said the lockdown has drawn a "Lakshman Rekha" in every home and people should stay indoors for their own protection and for that of their families.

Coronavirus, which originated in China's Wuhan city in December last year, has so far spread to more than 160 countries. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared coronavirus a pandemic. 

Only the essential services like grocery shops, medical outlets remain functional during the lockdown.

 

Image: Representative purpose
 

All Comments