Kerala reports second COVID-19 death

South India
Typography

Kerala recorded second COVID-19 death on Tuesday after a 68-year-old died at Thiruvananthapuram.

 

A 68-year-old man who had tested positive for COVID-19 passed away on Tuesday morning.

As per the report,  the patient did not have a travel history to any foreign countries, however, he had attended some weddings.

He had high BP and thyroid issues and was on ventilator support for five days. During treatment, he acquired kidney issues and was also undergoing dialysis.

"A man who had been tested positive for coronavirus passed away early morning today. He suffered kidney failure”, the Medical Superintendent, Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram, said.

A total of 213 people are presently under treatment in Kerala. At least 1.50 lakh people are under surveillance in the state and 623 are in isolation wards of various hospitals.

On Monday, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said that state has reported 32 fresh cases of coronavirus. Of the 32 cases, 17 had come from abroad and 15 had been infected through contact.

Out of this, Kasaragod district reported 17 cases, Kannur reported 15 cases, while Wayanad and Idukki reported two each. 

There are over 1200 confirmed cases of the disease in India with the number of active cases being upwards of the 1100 mark as of Monday evening.

On March 28, a 69-year-old man died in Kerala’s Kochi, becoming the first person from the southern state to die after contracting Covid-19. He died at Ernakulam Medical College Hospital.

Starting from Tuesday midnight, India is under 21-day lockdown to curb the spread of novel coronavirus. 

In a televised address to the nation on Tuesday, Prime Minister Modi said that it is vital to break the chain of the disease and experts have said that at least 21 days are needed for it. Social distancing is the only option to deal with the disease.

The Prime Minister said the lockdown has drawn a "Lakshman Rekha" in every home and people should stay indoors for their own protection and for that of their families.

Coronavirus, which originated in China's Wuhan city in December last year, has so far spread to more than 160 countries. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared coronavirus a pandemic. 

Only the essential services like grocery shops, medical outlets remain functional during the lockdown.

 

Image: Representative purpose

All Comments