Nirbhaya case: Bodies of all four convicts taken to hospital for post mortem


NEW DELHI: Bodies of the four Nirbhaya convicts, who were hanged on Friday morning at Tihar Jail have been sent to hospital for a post-mortem, following which it will be handed over to the families.


Mukesh Singh (32), Pawan Gupta (25), Vinay Sharma (26) and Akshay Kumar Singh (31) were executed at 5.30 am.

According to the report from the Jail officials, the bodies were kept hanging for half an hour, a mandatory procedure after execution as per the prison manual. Later, doctor has examined the bodies and declared all 4 dead.

After that, the bodies were taken from Tihar Jail to Deen Dayal Upadhyay (DDU) Hospital for post mortem at around 8:20 am.

Tihar jail Director-General Sandeep Goel said that the bodies will be handed over to the families after the post mortem.

However, the families will have to give a written undertaking that they will not make a public demonstration of the cremation or burial of the executed person.

As per the report, the superintendent will also consult the District Magistrate and the Deputy Commissioner of Police for arrangements for the disposal of the body.

The case pertains to the brutal gang-rape and killing of a 23-year-old paramedical student in a moving bus on the night of December 16, 2012, by six people including a juvenile in the national capital. The woman had died at a Singapore hospital a few days later.

All the six accused were arrested and charged with sexual assault and murder. One of the accused was a minor and appeared before a juvenile justice court, while another accused committed suicide in Tihar jail. 

While Ram Singh allegedly committed suicide in the Tihar Jail days after the trial began in the case, the juvenile was released in 2015 after spending three years in a correctional home.

After raping and brutalising Nirbhaya, the men, one of whom was a juvenile at the time, dumped her on the road and left for dead. She was so severely violated that her insides were spilling out when she was taken to hospital. Her friend who was with her was also severely beaten and thrown out along with her. 

The brutality of the rape had shocked and stunned the entire nation and triggered massive protests which forced the government to tighten the rape laws.

On March 5, a trial court issued fresh death warrants for March 20 at 5.30 am as the final date for the execution.


Image: Representative purpose


All Comments