Case filed against Kerala BJP chief Sreedharan Pillai over Sabarimala remarks

Kerala
Typography

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: A case under non-bailable charges was registered on Thursday against Kerala BJP chief PS Sreedharan Pillai, who has claimed that the Sabarimala issue provides a 'golden opportunity' for the BJP to grow in Kerala.


The action was taken over a complaint filed by a journalist for his inflammatory remarks over Sabarimala row.

He has been booked under Section 505 1(b) of the Indian Penal Code after he caught telling party workers in a video that the Sabarimala agitation, which took place last month over the entry of women of all ages was almost staged and planned by the saffron party.

Section 505 (1)(b) of the IPC refers to, ‘attempts with intent to cause, which is likely to cause, fear or alarm to the public, or to any section of the public whereby any person may be induced to commit an offence against the State or against the public tranquillity’.

The chief made the remarks during a meeting of the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha in Kozhikode on November 4, the same day when the shrine opened for the ‘Chithira Aattaviseshom’ festival. But the audio clip came out on Monday.

A supposed audio clip which has been doing rounds has Pillai saying,

“Everyone followed the agenda we had proposed, everyone is excited the scene after surrendering before us, the agitation in the Malayalam month was almost planned by the  BJP. I had advised the temple’s tantri (head priest), Kandaru Rajeevaru, that locking the shrine’s doors, if any women entered into the temple, it would not amount to contempt of court”, he had said.

However, the tantric had rejected Pillai’s claim and said that he discussed the matter only with the senior members of the ‘tantri’ family and did not talk to the Pillai.

Earlier, the tantri had warned that he would shut the temple doors if women between the ages of 10 and 50 entered the premises, based on SC verdict.

On September 28, the five-judge bench headed by former Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra lifted the entry ban on women in the temple, saying the centuries-old custom at the shrine was not an essential religious practice and “the attribute of devotion to divinity cannot be subjected to the rigidity and stereotypes of gender”.

However, Pillai denied all the allegation and said, “What's the wrong in giving advice”.

When the case was registered, Pillai, was on a 'Rath Yatra' that was flagged off from Kasargode and will reach Pathanamthitta district on November 13. The BJP is conducting the 'Rath Yatra' to "save the customs and traditions" of the hill shrine

 

 

 

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Rating 0.00 (0 Votes)




Sign up via our free email subscription service to receive notifications when new information is available.

Follow us on Facebook