Court allows Kanakadurga to stay in husband's home


MALAPPURAM:  The village court at Pulamanthol in Malappuram district on Tuesday directed that Kanakadurga should be allowed to stay into the house of her husband and to live with her children. 

Kanakadurga, one of the two women who entered Sabarimala temple on January 2, has been thrown out of her home by in-laws.

An interim order was issued by the 'Gram Nayayalya'-village court on a petition filed by her under the Domestic Violence Act.

Earlier, she had moved the petition in Perinthalmanna, even though it has been transferred to Pulamanthol grama court as the case falls under its jurisdiction.

In her petition she had stated, she has all the right to stay at her husband's home.

Earlier, her husband Krishnanunni had locked the house and left along with their child and mother.

Even though, after the court order, her husband submitted the house keys at the police station. Later she was taken to her husband's home under police protection.

On January 20, Kanakadurga had approached Perinthalmanna police after she was discharged from Medical College Hospital and went to the home with the police escort.

Though the police officers spoke to Kanakadurga’s husband, he had declined to take her to his house.

The family said she had brought enough shame to the community and hurt sentiments of the devotees and won't accept her.

Later, she had lodged in 'One Stop Centre', a government-run shelter home at Perinthalmanna. A police team headed by a woman sub-inspector was providing security to her.

On January 15, Kanakadurga reached home and had been attacked by her mother-in-law. She alleged that as she tried to enter the house, her mother-in-law refused and beat her with a wooden rod on her head.

She had sustained a minor injury and admitted to a hospital in Perinthalmanna. The cops had registered a case based on her complaint under sections 341 and 324 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against her mother-in-law.

The case has been posted to March 11 for further hearing.

On January 2, Kanaka Durga (44) and Bindu Ammini (42) came to limelight and made history by becoming the first women below 50 in decades to enter the hilltop shrine after the epic verdict of the apex court of the nation. They had made an attempt on December 24, but it was failed due to protest by the devotees.

Following threats by protesters, the two women had gone into hiding for almost two weeks after entering the hill shrine, they had been staying in an undisclosed location on the outskirts of Kochi.

Later, both of them came before the public in the recent ' AArppo Aarthavam' programme organised by some activist groups in Kochi to ‘celebrate menstruation’ on January 13.

Recently, Bindu and Kanakadurga had received a death threat letter saying that they would be harmed for entering the shrine.

The Perinthalmanna police had begun a probe after the administrator of a shelter home received an anonymous threat letter.

Earlier, the Supreme Court had directed the Kerala police to provide 24x7 security for both the women after they had petitioned seeking security fearing for their lives.

The state had witnessed huge protests by Lord Ayyappa devotees opposing the entry of girls and women in 10-50 age group into the Sabarimala temple when the state government decided to implement the September 28 Supreme Court order.

On September 28, the five-judge bench headed by former Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra lifted the entry ban on women in the temple, saying the centuries-old custom at the shrine was not an essential religious practice and “the attribute of devotion to divinity cannot be subjected to the rigidity and stereotypes of gender”.


1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Rating 0.00 (0 Votes)

Sign up via our free email subscription service to receive notifications when new information is available.

Follow us on Facebook