Favorites Lock Screen, a Microsoft Garage project, is now available for Android in India. The app creates custom lock screens based on a user’s custom interests. Entering the name of an actor for example would randomly generate wallpaper images of that actor and would also display related news stories about them over the image. The simple app lets you set your celebrities and interests as your favorites for the lock screen image.
Microsoft claims it’s not just another accidental oversaturation of a lock screen apps category but a new way of empowering consumers to use their device more innovatively.
“We wanted to build a lock screen focused on fandom, not just beautiful images. Our app allows people to craft a more personalized experience centered around their passions and interests. Also, we wanted to try something different,” said Pavan Kumar Desari, a Program Manager on the Favorites Lock Screen team.
Here’s the official list of features.
- Daily HD wallpapers of your favorite celebrities and interests Set your “favorites” to get HD wallpapers of your favorite stars and celebs as your lock screen image
- A wide range of wallpaper collections Favorites comes with multiple categories to choose from: sports, actors, musicians, animals, and automobiles. Select a myriad of favorites from multiple categories
- Keep up with the latest Follow the news and trends surrounding your favorites
- Do more, right from your lock screen
- Access top apps and settings with a quick tap Access Flashlight, WiFi, Bluetooth and more apps on the lock screen
- Unlock your way PIN, pattern code, or password–protect your Android device in your preferred unlocking mechanism
- Snapshots with a swipe A right swipe from the camera icon helps you open your camera quickly
- Notifications and alerts Stay on top of alerts and notifications without unlocking your phone
- Search made easy Search directly from your lock screen with the Bing search bar
Image credits: Microsoft